Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ranking the Sabres' skippers

The Buffalo Sabres have had between 15 and 23 captains in their history, depending on if you feel the rotating captains should be counted, which I won't for our purposes. For the record, if people spoke of Sabres captains like they do of popes, I'd be on my 11th captain, as I didn't ever see the 'C' on Danny Gare's sweater.

So here is my fairly-educated ranking of Sabre skippers:

14. Floyd Smith (1970-71) -- What else can be said about Floyd Smith, the first captain of the team? Well, he was born on May 16, 1935 in Perth, Ontario. Good on you, Floyd.

13. Alexander Mogilny (1993-94) -- Extortion attempts, aviatophobia and a 76-goal campaign doesn't make him any more of a resounding leader in my book, just a fun Sabre.

12. Gerry Meehan (1971-74) -- I have to admit my only knowledge of Meehan is as a general manager. He came to Buffalo from the Seattle Totems, and had the best years of his career with the Sabres, with more than 46 points in all four season in Buffalo.

11. Daniel Briere (2005-2007) -- There may be a lot of email hate for slotting Briere this low, and he was an awesome guy in the community, as well as vocal with the media, but there was a little too much unsteadiness in both his exit and playoffs for me to move him ahead of anyone in front of him. Great times, though.

10. Stu Barnes (2001-2003) -- Quiet, steady, confident. He took over after a captain-less year, and played hard every night. Maybe he should be a little lower, but I have a fondness for Stu Barnes.

Is it just me, or did Stu Barnes have either a tiny head, or a really big helmet?

9. Lindy Ruff (1987-89) -- Lindy was traded for the pick that became Richard Smehlik. He plays golf right- and left-handed.

8. Danny Gare (1977-82) -- Tied for the longest-tenured captain with Gilbert Perreault and Pat LaFontaine. Was dynamite, notching over 50 goals twice and 40 goals thrice. Tough, smallish forward who never registered less than 70 penalty minutes.

7. Michael Peca (1997-2000) -- Will his reputation stand the test of time? I hope so. I remember the offensive highlights, like a legitimately wonderful goal against Hartford, as well as the bone-crushing open-ice hits. Hopefully, I'll forget the off-ice acrimony in time. I have to admit that I wondered what became of him when hearing about the Peca/Smith/Pronger camps in Edmonton a few years back, but they went to the Cup.

Mike Peca needed a chainsaw to shave, or like a Mach-15-blade razor.

6. Jim Schoenfeld (1974-77) -- Skippered the squad to its first Stanley Cup Finals appearance, and has one of the most memorable checks in team history. Also would fight and, like Ruff, became a pretty good head coach, even if I seem to recall him being behind the bench when a Devils goalie scored in his own net.

5. Chris Drury (2005-2007) -- Whether it be fabled or fact, Drury will always hold a special place in the hearts of Sabres fans, whether they view his exit as shady or justified. The guy blocked shots with his face, played hurt and saved Canaima, California from a deadly species of Venezuelan spider. Oh, wait, that last part was Jeff Daniels in "Arachnophobia."

4. Mike Ramsey (1991-92) -- Respected, tough as nails defenseman who would've worn the 'C' much longer had he not been on a team with Perreault and Foligno. Olympic hero was extremely well-respected around the league.

Ramsey was so well-respected that the Russians let him use them as a couch on his way to ending the Cold War.

3. Pat LaFontaine (1992-97) -- Classy with the media, LaFontaine will always go down as a player who was cut down by concussions when plenty of good hockey left to play. His arrival instantly transformed the image of the club, and Mogilny doesn't score 76 without his almost-absurd 95 helpers in 1992-93.

2. Mike Foligno (1989-91) -- My favorite hockey player of all-time for the grit and goals. His only downfall was a penalty shot on my birthday against the Red Wings. Sitting in my seat, I was ready for my hero to light up Glen Hanlon. Hanlon stopped him, and did the celebrated Foligno goal jump. Pretty awesome in retrospect, even if it ruined my day, just as it did the time Esa Tikkanen sat on him at center ice during an Oilers/Sabres game I attended. Thanks, Dad and Uncle Larry.

Mike Foligno's nose defines hockey. He's also the only professional athlete I'm actually intimidated around. Pretty weird, huh?

1. Gilbert Perreault (1982-97) -- There's no debate. The franchise's leader in almost everything was here from its inception until 1986. Plus, I fell down the stairs of the gold section with right before he scored his 500th goal, meaning my parents missed the milestone. I've heard about it every time the replay's been televised since then. For goodness' sake, Mom, I was four.

And he could sing.

I didn't take forever to make these rankings, so cut me a little slack, cause that's how I see it. I'm ready for hockey season, and I'll get some predictions your way soon. Leafs/Red Wings tonight on television!

Email: nick@wgr550.com

P.S. Send me your rankings if you'd like.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers