Sunday, November 15, 2009

Immediate Reactions, Wk10

For the amusement of in-game reactions, check my banter at Twitter.com/NicholasMendola

The worst team in maybe the worst division in football. If it were that easy, you'd just turn it off. But the Buffalo Bills aren't the worst team in this miserable football league. They aren't even bottom five. Worst franchise? Now, we're talking.

Your official "if we win out, there's still no guarantee of playoffs" Immediate Reactions...

-- So, here's my dilemma as a post-game typer: If I start with criticism of Trent Edwards, I'm a "hater." If I start with Terrell Owens, I'm taking the easy way out. If i start with the defense, I'm dodging the real issue. If I start with the coaching, I'll stab myself in the arm pit. So...

-- This offensive line isn't helping anyone out and, injuries aside, it's hard to feel for them. Penalty-after-penalty-after-blown-assignment-after-batted-down-pass. Every lineman except Geoff Hangartner got himself a penalty, and the center disengaged early on a play that cost Marshawn Lynch a good 5-10 extra yards. It's a shame the NFL demands five linemen. I'd rather put a quarterback 12 yards deep and throw seven wide-outs out there. Then, James Hardy and Roscoe Parrish wouldn't have to watch.

-- What in the world are the Bills going to do in the offseason? You get Brad Butler back for one of your tackle positions, but barring a miraculous recovery and performance from Jamon Meredith, you need another tackle, a starting quarterback and at least two linebackers. If we don't see anything from Hardy, you need to think receiver at some point, because T.O.'s gone.

-- Okay, I need to throw in another game-related note before we get to Edwards, Owens or Jauron: Rich Gannon is the most useless color analyst in pro football right now. Can we take him and Mark Schlereth, and ship them off to the Island of Misfit Meatballs? It was clear from the get-go that Gannon was going to criticize everything Vince Young did, and hand massage every thing Edwards did. He's one guy who hasn't gotten past -- or at least found a way to conceal -- his clear biases developed during time in the league. I know he knows more football than I've forgotten, but listening to him is like that being the guy in the Bud Light commercial where his redheaded girlfriend uses a nailgun to put his boutonniere on his jacket.

-- I'm listening to Bob Dylan right now to calm my agitated nerves. It's working.

-- Look, Dick Jauron's time in Buffalo is as expired as a 10-year-old bottle of cow's milk, pre-Pasteurization, but I have a hard time criticizing him for allowing Tennessee to try a 51-yard field goal instead of a 3rd-and-23. Chris Johnson looked like Walter Payton had a kid with Barry Sanders on his receptions, and Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger had the upper hand on Perry Fewell all day. It's a definite "damned if you do, damned if you don't" decision for Jauron, particularly considering his standing with Bills fans right now. I think I would've let them kick instead of gaining 10 yards and then kicking, but I'm not sure it matters nearly as much as the announcing team wanted you to think. Rod Bironas is an excellent kicker.

-- He reacted like a baby, and was not good for the Bills, but Owens did show that he can still get open, and probably has been for a lot of the season, He definitely should program his gloves to "catch mode" the whole game though. Far too often, he's been flipping the lever for "granite fingers."

-- I know Alex Van Pelt is desperate, and that it's fun to watch offenses pass, but he again bailed on the run game too early. Both Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson were getting more than four yards-per-pop, even before Jackson's late 14-yard run moved him to a deceiving 6.0 average. It's sad that this is a coaching staff that acts like it's down 14 during a tie game. It's tough to watch, and I bet it rubs off on the guys.

-- Jairus Byrd is a great, great story in pass coverage, but I'd love to see him not wimp out at the tail end of multiple Chris Johnson runs. Not exactly the "safe" thing for a defense.

-- Even with my kind words for Young, don't forget that Terrence McGee was missing.

-- Another Gannon beauty was saying Young failed to take advantage of the mismatch between safety-turned-linebacker Bryan Scott and a tight end. Rich, I'll take a DB on a TE all day.

-- DFHAJKSDFBASKFN.

-- I just realized I didn't give my views on Edwards. He was fine, maybe even good for what he is -- a great option as your No. 2 quarterback. He made some nice throws, and the touchdown to Evans was a solid throw, one tossed with confidence. That's something we haven't been able to say an awful lot about him. I bet he'd even look slighlty-above average if he wasn't picking his linemen's equipment out of his stomach after most plays. Made a couple real poor decisions that cost his team big, but that's life in 2009 Bills football, I guess. He's your quarterback for the rest of the year, and here's hoping he plays better. If not, would be that big a deal to let Gibran Hamdan play NFL football for the last :57 of a fourth quarter, down 354 points?

Stat line I enjoyed:
Lee Evans, four catches, 50 yards, two touchdowns
-- I enjoyed the two touchdowns. You have to try and find ways to get this guy the ball. He's locked up to a contract, but honestly, if there was ever a guy you'd understand demanding a trade, Evans might be the guy. A lesser man would've gone off by now. Maybe he will.

Stat line I didn't enjoy:
Chris Johnson, 26 carries, 132 yards, two touchdowns; nine receptions, 100 yards
-- There's a scene in the seminal film of our time, "Billy Madison," where Eric plays a violin concerto or something, followed by Billy blowing on a clarinet before awkwardly declaring, "He's good." Yep.

Game ball:
Fred Jackson
-- Why not? Touchdown pass, bunch of kickoff returns, some catches and some runs. Marcus Stroud had himself another day, and Drayton Florence was miserable. Did he maybe take the year's first defensive pass interference call?

Lastly...
"Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?" by Bob Dylan (and The Band) is a super-solid song, even if there's something quite against the gentleman's code about it. You could say it was a rebellious shot at the more-vocal and violent protestors of his time. I just made that up now, but you could say it. Go Bills.

Next week:
Much of the same, without the early score and minus the late barrage. I say the Jags lead 13-7 for three quarters before late Maurice Jones-Drew scores put the final around 27-17. Then, I'll do another one of these, host post-game and see the E-Street Band, who are reportedly playing "Greetings From Asbury Park" in its entirety as part of their final night on tour, in Buffalo. BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE (Springsteen).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers