Sunday, November 30, 2008

Immediate Reactions: San Fran 10, Buffalo 3

Stupid Bills.

What in the world are we supposed to do with that? I really mean that question.

Ugh...

-- The first place I'd like to start is Roscoe Parrish. Now, I absolutely admire his positivity before that final punt return, bobbing his head to and fro, enjoying the music that announced the arrival of the football in his hands.

Now me, if I were him, I'd be thinking about the touchdown I dropped. You know, the one that would have tied the game, and not made math your most important ally for all of December.

-- I like Fred Jackson. Great guy, I mean it, but if it's 3rd and short, and the best running back on your team has gashed a defense for over 130 yards, give him the football. Please. I totally understand that Derrick Dockery and Jason Peters decided to block the same guy on the play, but still, give it to Lynch, and if he doesn't get it, give it to him on fourth down.

Disagree? Jackson averaged 1.6 yards-per-carry, Lynch had 8.4. Even without the 50-yard run, Lynch would've averaged over five yards per carry.

-- Ron Pitts is the worst play-by-play announcer in the NFL. Tony Boselli, on the contrary, is a pretty good color guy.

-- I don't think it's too much to assume that the defense has had enough of the offense's shenanigans. Your defensive ends got you three sacks, allowed ten points, and gave up a paltry 52 meaningful yards in the second half. The opponent was San Francisco, and your quarterbacks need to be able to come up with 10 points in 60 minutes.

-- Between Trent Edwards and Jack Losman, the Bills were 21-of-37 for 205 yards and three sacks. Sometimes numbers don't tell the story, as inaccuracy plagued Edwards and indecision punished Losman.

When Losman's sent packing after this year, you'll need a veteran back-up, and you'll also need to pick up another quarterback, whether on Day One or Day Two of the draft is your call.

-- The major difference between Edwards and Losman today was that Losman was sacked on plays that Edwards would've dumped it to his running back or tight end. How do you get this far in your career without knowing the rush is coming.

-- That said, Parrish dropped a touchdown. Did I mention that?

-- My golly, what happened to Rian Lindell? I know the weather was awful, and has been awful, but his performance was inexcusable.

-- This team needs to practice outside, and if they do, then they need to practice outside more. When you have elite, effective athletes like Leodis McKelvin and Marcus Stroud saying, "It's going to be a cold one and we'll have to stay warm," (I'm paraphrasing), it's time to change your routine. You're a cold weather team, play cold weather football.

-- Patrick Willis is really good at playing tackle football.

-- Six penalties is too many.

-- Between you and I, it's going to make me sick to listen to all the "We just have to go out and win the rest of our games and hope for the best" comments for another year. I went to college for this.

Stat line I enjoyed:
Lynch, 16 carries, 134 yards, TD
-- He's really good at football, too.

Stat line I didn't enjoy:
Lynch, 16 carries.
-- Don't overthink it. Just give him the ball.

Game ball:
Ryan Denney and Chris Kelsay, 10 tackles, three sacks
-- Can't put it on the defense this week.

Lastly...
Nice home game, team. Stupid.

Next week:
Don't call it a home game. Bills 20, Miami 17 in Toronto, Ont., Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Email: nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers