Wednesday, January 27, 2010

First look at Bills draft, picks 1-3

Follow Nick's non-column-length thoughts on Twitter.com/NicholasMendola.

(WGR 550) -- As an ancillary piece for my "3-4" column, I thought I'd give my guts a shot at where the Bills first three picks are going.

Assuming New England doesn't go for my much-desired trade offer -- which works out on the value chart -- of the Nos. 9 and 72 picks in exchanged for the Pats' No. 21, 42 & 47 selections, here's where I think Buffalo could plan to start another year of hopeful football.

No. 9 overall - Derrick Morgan, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech
-- For those who didn't read my "3-4" column yet, I love Morgan. He's a 6'4", 275-pound human explosion. Usually, when you watch tape film Youtube clips, you don't notice how much attention is being paid to the end, but in a lot of the video Youtube clips I've watched, guards freaked out immediately to help the tackle, opening up room for a tackle to penetrate. That's respect. Morgan could also play NFL end no problem if they wanted to play a 4-3/3-4 hybrid. Again, these are just my opinions. I don't pretend to be OURLADS.

No. 41 overall - Selvish Capers, OT, West Virginia
Capers is a very interesting guy to me, as he weighs in at just over 300 pounds but -- perhaps not coincidentally -- ran a 4.91 forty. He's also one of the only tackles who could be around post-Round One and have the ability to play left tackle. Here's the point where I'd like to tell you that if I believe it's very hard for me to believe there are a ton of right tackle prospects who couldn't learn to play left with good coaching.

So why trust a second-round pick to start on your line (besides the Andy Levitre thing)?

Granted they are both right tackles right now, but Minnesota's Phil Loadholt (Oklahoma) and the Giants' William Beatty (Connecticut) started at tackle in the NFL during their rookie campaigns, and both teams weren't an absolute mess offensively. I know the blind side is crucial -- the book was great -- but this is a league where defensive ends seem to be rotated a lot and who knows? The Bills may take a left-handed quarterback (I type this solely for Michael Vick hype, who I do not want in a Bills uniform. Sorry).

No. 72 overall - Dan LeFevour, QB, Central Michigan
With all the success the Bills have had with drafting quarterbacks in the third round -- yes, I'm typing this for you "He always makes fun of Trent" guys -- I think they can continue that idea here. As a MAC guy, I love the idea of LeFevour and that's bad news. I expect him to climb big-time at the combine.

Just some very early thoughts on where I think guys would be slotted if the draft were today, and teams didn't overreact once guys named Kiper published their Shakespearean works of literature on young adult athletes.

Email: nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers