Friday, March 26, 2010

The most important 10 minutes of my season

(WGR 550) -- It's foolhardy to put too much into a regular season game, but I'm putting a ton into about 600 seconds of Friday's match between the Sabres and Senators at HSBC Arena.

I love times when Buffalo can prove they're a team to believe in, and the Sabres have failed me several times over the past three-plus seasons. When they sleep-walked through the Isles and Rangers in the '07 playoffs, I wasn't convinced they'd "wake up when it mattered," and they didn't. When they showed precious little heart early in the following two seasons, it put them into too deep of a hole to climb into the playoffs.

This year, they've ridden Ryan Miller to no lower than a third-place slot in the Eastern Conference playoffs, but fans have been very wary about getting too pumped up. This team's let them down in a lot of key spots. So here's what I need.

I don't require a win tonight -- though it'd be great. I need to see something I didn't see during that pre-Olympic losing streak. Forget the deadbeat starts to the Pittsburgh and Ottawa losses. Remember the 4-3 loss to Carolina? Surely they'd come out like crazed animals. Nope.

The next night. Lowly Columbus. The Senators surging. Nope.

Then, after the break. You can forgive a Patrick Lalime loss to Pittsburgh, but Ryan Miller's return to the home nets versus Washington. Where was the gusto? Nowhere.

I'm sure we could go back and reel off a number of games like that, but I don't want to be strictly negative, because I'm very excited for Friday's game versus Ottawa. If Buffalo comes out tonight like they mean it, I'm on board. In the first 5-10 minutes of this game, they are hitting, moving and passing like a good-looking team, I can take some enthusiasm forward.

Admit it, you've been hesitant to jump on the train this year. It's not a bandwagon thing, as much as people want you feel bad. The team was the best team in the league a few years back, and faltered at too many times. Every team goes through a down period. The 2008-09 champion Penguins had a 5-13 stretch in December of that season. The Red Wings went through a 1-8-2 skid in the year they won the 2008 Cup. I'm sure you can find things like that in every champion's season.

I'm not saying the Sabres can't win in the playoffs if they lose or look uninspired against the Senators. That's silly. But if the Sabres can't get up for tonight... if the boys don't come out flying with a chance to make the playoffs by beating your rival -- in the process moving into second place in your conference and ensuring no Washington until the East Finals -- then you don't have me yet.

Simple as that. Go hard.

Looking forward to the game: nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers