Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sabres Steady As He Goes


(WGR 550) -- I won't make apologies for the Sabres periodic bouts with malaise in the effort department, but there's one constant that has me daring to believe a long playoff run is in order, and that's Ryan Miller.

When I was planning Wednesday's power play show, I couldn't get around one idea: for the first time since some guy from Czechoslavkia (now a Republic) was between the pipes, there is no other goalie in the league I'd want backstopping my squad.

Of course, when I lead off the show with the idea that Miller is the best goaltender going right now in the playoffs despite Tuukka Rask's numbers and Martin Brodeur's history, I got this expected and understandable email from a reasonable listener named Rick:

"Please Nick, don't turn into a full homer. Martin Broduer is still the best going into the playoffs no matter what you think. He has proved it already and is still the best going in. As long as he is around, he is still the best"

Don't get me wrong, I get his point. Brodeur is one of the Top Three goaltenders in modern hockey, but that doesn't mean he's there right now. The Devils system hasn't always been what's made Brodeur's numbers as exceptional as they are. This year it is.

Consider this: Miller has better numbers than Brodeur despite the systemic difference.

Miller: 2.22 GAA, .930 save pct.
Brodeur: 2.24 GAA, .916 save pct.

When you throw in the fact that Miller has faced 94 more shots than Brodeur in eight less games played, there's another stat to consider. Miller sees 30.4 shots a night, while Brodeur sees four less.

And goaltending is more than numbers. How many times have we seen Miller hung out to dry with a 3-on-1 or a superstar breakway. Thing is, he's been up to the challenge this year -- and most of last season.

The question becomes is there another goaltender in the league that would make you feel better about your chances in the 2010 playoffs. For me, it came down to Brodeur and Miller, and I've selected the American.

It's not homerism. There is too much I don't like about the Sabres to be all-aboard this playoff train. I'm hesitant, like a lot of Western New York. Buffalo's skaters could lay four eggs in seven games against Boston, be outscored 11-10 and go home. It wouldn't change the thesis.

The sky's the limit with No. 30. Let's just hope the goal-hanging tendencies of a few stubborn divas up front don't cost the Sabres a legitimate chance to do damage.

Email: nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers