Monday, September 29, 2008

Bills play allows nostalgia


When I was in my late single digits -- ah, to be young -- there was one, and only one, thing that mattered to me during football season besides the Bills:

"Inside the NFL" with Len Dawson and Nick Buonicotti on HBO.

Now, I was too young to realize that Buonicotti picked against the Bills because of his history with the Dolphins, but I lived by that show, waiting for my dad to get home so we could either:

a) become enraged when someone bet against our Bills
b) play catch after the Bills were picked to win

One season specifically, I tuned in with special interest. The Bills and Redskins were the only remaining undefeated teams, both at 8-0 or 9-0, and the obvious broadcasting debate each week was, "Which one will lose first and will it be this week?"

I don't even remember who it was, but flash forward to 2008, and I'm reliving those moments right now. Howard Simon mentioned on our show this morning that he's not going to say the 'S' word yet. That's fine, I'm not worrying about that either. I'm busy having "Inside the NFL" delusions of grandeur with just three other teams holding an '0' in the loss column.

Hey, if Buffalo makes it past Arizona, it gives the other teams two weeks to blow it.

Maybe the Bills are benefiting from a soft schedule, but the fan in me doesn't care much, and the analyst is on vacation right now, so feel free to leave a message for when he returns. At 4-0, I'm having fun remember some of my favorite moments as a young Bills fan:

-- Leonard Smith picking off a pass and racing to the end zone in a 29-28 win over Denver in 1990 (Part of a huge comeback night game in which "The Biscuit" returned a blocked field goal 80 yards for a score.

--The next week... J.D. Williams blocking a punt and Nate Odomes ripping the ball away from a Raiders wide-out, both returned for touchdowns in another come-from-behind win at the Ralph.

-- The next week... Jamie Mueller catching a 14-yard touchdown pass from Jim Kelly to cap another come-from-behind win at the Ralph.

Remember those games? That run was euphoric, and while the Bills of now aren't in that class, the comebacks and "We're not going to lose" feeling of the first four weeks are nothing short of nostalgic. I'm not preparing for the return of Carlton Bailey and the 10-7 win over Elway and Denver at Rich Stadium in the AFC title game, but it's just a lot of fun.

This is Buffalo. Let's try and enjoy it, huh?

Email: nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers