Sunday, September 21, 2008

IMMEDIATE REACTIONS: Buffalo 24, Oakland 23

Sixteen years ago, the Buffalo Bills began the season 3-0 on the way to a Super Bowl loss.

I was going to write something else intelligent about how the Bills are now 3-0, and how sixteen years ago I was playing squirt hockey for the Kenmore Knights, but I just sat and stared at the word "Super Bowl" for like 15 seconds and lost my entire train of thought. Actually, let me amend that -- I lost my entire spinning biosphere of thought.

You see, for the first time in a long time, winning the AFC East looks plausible. So, if I really wanted to dream, I could think about the Bills winning a playoff game or two. And if, say, someone slipped a crate of acid into my iced tea before I took a nap, I could have a long and vivid dream about the Super Bowl before, ultimately, dying. That dream might include flashbacks to the 1991 crazy night-game comeback against the then-Los Angeles Raiders I kept having during this game.

Yes, the Buffalo Bills are 3-0. After today, several other teams will fall from the ranks of "those unbeaten." Heck, the Patriots already have. So while I am leagues away from even predicting the Bills will win a playoff game, I feel legitimately pumped about the Bills.

Now, let's get a little deeper:

-- My favorite play of the game was Donte Whitner doing something really stupid. After Johnnie Lee Higgins (who?) lit up the defense for a 84-yard touchdown slant, the former-UTEP wide-out really classed it up, slowing down several times while out-racing Whitner to end zone. Whitner, justifiably, realized some guy named Johnnie Lee Higgins was showing him up and tackled him just short of the stands.

The 15 yards would've been costly, especially that close to the end of an obviously still winnable game, but I love the statements it makes:

A) Don't make Donte Whitner angry
2) That doesn't fly in Ralph Wilson Stadium
D) That doesn't fly against the Bills
20) Don't make Donte Whitner angry

-- Before we leave that play, two other crucial questions:

1) Why in the world would Paul Posluszny go for a one-handed interception instead of containing Higgins and forcing a punt?

2) What in the world was Higgins' touchdown dance? Seriously, someone go rewind the game and tell me. Was he figure skating? Doing interpretive dance? Combining sign language with a seizure?

-- Tell me when you want the negative stuff.

-- Good teams beat the teams they are supposed to beat, so maybe, just maybe, we have a good team on our hands. The Bills were awful for most of the day. Luckily for them, they played an equally-awful-performing team who lost one of their cornerbacks in the fourth quarter due to a case of idiocy. Thanks, Gibril Wilson! Josh Reed has never been so happy to be slapped in the face.

-- Ah, Trent Edwards. Right when we were getting ready to write-off a horrendous performance as "something that happens to a young quarterback," he decides to make 99 percent of Western New York forget about that first half (more on that later).

Edwards, and his line, were dynamite for the final 16 minutes and 54 seconds. The first of the three final scoring drives was of the 16-play, 96-yard drive variety. What followed were two seven-play drives to win the game, but perhaps most remarkable was that the drives weren't flawless, and the Bills didn't come apart. "Weren't flawless?" Heck, there was a 3rd-down-84-yard-usually-back-breaking-slant-route for the Raiders mixed in there. Wow.

--Speaking of quarterbacks. I'm pulling for Jamarcus Russell. Kid's got some tools, just needs to move pass Losman status in Oakland. I wasn't rooting for him against the Bills, by the way.

-- Don't you dare hate on Leodis McKelvin for being pushed out of bounds by Raiders' kicker Sebastian Janikowski. He had one chance of getting by Janikowski, who was angling McKelvin toward the sideline, and the Raiders had two special teamers coming if the Bills returner cut back.

Even moreso, Janikowski is a left-handed and -footed, and a right-handed kicker would not have been able to shove with the same force. It's funny how a detail like that can factor into a play. Also, Janikowski is known for being an aggressive tackling kicker -- that reads funny, I know -- and up until the last couple years would join in the rush upfield to pursue the returner.

He also was a member of Poland's U-17 National Soccer team before emigrating to the United States. Can you believe I just typed about the other team's kicker for this long?

-- Is it weird that I never thought the Bills would lose? After the 84-yard score to Higgins, I conceded that it was capable a Bills team performing this poorly could lose, but I never really felt Buffalo would fall to Oakland. It's probably because I'm so awesome.

-- Let's play Madlibs:

For more than three quarters (A Bills left guard) and (A Bills left tackle) looked like (mammal) (bodily fluid) as the (below average AFC West team)'s (defensive end or linebacker) abused them on the football field. I can't fathom how a (insulting noun) could possibly think missing training camp was a good idea.

Seriously, Jason Peters and Derrick Dockery were 670 pounds of uselessness for much of the game, and they compounded the rough day Edwards was having by making him rush throws. Edwards seemed to rush throws when defenders were not using a magnifying glass for identify the thread count on his jersey's name plate, as if he knew a Raider must be coming. Dockery looked great with Langston Walker in Week One, so go figure.

-- Pardon my anger after a good win, but shouldn't we be seeing some run-blocking from this line soon? Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson continue to grab yards after contact, and the contact seems to often be a yard in the backfield. It would be cool if the line would allow Lynch to put up some All-World statistics.

-- What in the world was up with the DeAngelo Hall interception? Can anyone explain it to me.

-- On the same topic, I loved when Dick Jauron looked at the official and asked if he actually had to throw the red challenge flag, and then dropped it a foot from his own shoe. Grown men, folks, grown men.

-- Off-topic from the win, I hate the entire situation with Lynch and his hit-and-run, how he dealt with it and how the police handled it, but I don't hate him for getting angry when the media brought the incident up during his Friday interview.

-- Another solid game for Ashton Youboty. Nice.

--Robert Gallery seems to finally be looking good as a blocker.

-- If Oakland coach Lane Kiffin gets fired after this performance, it's even more of a joke than had he been fired after the Raiders' Week Two win. One of Al Davis' problems with Kiffin is the coach's displeasure with defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Well, if Kiffin gets sacked for Ryan's defense's failings, it's an even bigger act in the Oakland circus.

Stat line I enjoyed:
--Josh Reed, 6 catches, 72 yards.
Plus, he's really good at getting slapped in the helmet.

Stat line I also enjoyed:
-- Oakland running backs, 29 carries, 97 yards
A usually-accurate media peer of mine text messaged me during the game that the Bills' offensive and defensive lines were getting pushed around like it was 2007 all over again, but I disagree on the latter half. I thought Marcus Stroud, Chris Kelsay and Kyle Williams highlighted a solid defensive line performance. At the time of the text, the Raiders' backs were average 4.3 yards-per-carry. They finished the game at 3.34 yards-per-carry.

Stat line I didn't enjoy:
-- Bills offensive line, three sacks allowed
Get better already. You're supposed to be good at the pass blocking part.

Game ball:
-- Lynch, 23 carries, 83 yards, gymnastic TD; 4 catches, 31 yards.
What a freak! His touchdown was a pivoting, leaping thing of beauty. He gets the you-know-what hit out of him week-in and week-out, and keeps going. He's like a dread-locked Energizer bunny who loves chain restaurants and Lil' Wayne (I caught him singing "Got Money" on the way up the tunnel after Thursday's practice).

Lastly...
Don't do that again. By that I mean go down by double digits in the third-quarter, because I hope they have huge comebacks whenever they need them.

Next week:
St. Louis, who looks all sorts of awful. Being a road game should help the Bills' not look past them, and I'll predict a blow-out, even with Steven Jackson. Buffalo better not be doing what I am, and wondering if the Bills can stick with Kurt Warner and the Cardinals. Buffalo 34, St. Louis 10.

Let's type about it: nick@wgr550.com

Post-type, or "Some random, non-football points I need to get off my chest":

A) The carpets were cleaned in our office and smell like wasabi.
B) My soccer team, Buffalo City Football Club, hasn't lost since the Bills' preseason, so maybe we're good luck and the other teams should not show up and risk hurting the Bills?
C) The Cubs won their second-straight NL Central crown. Feel free to email me with ways they could blow it this year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers