Tuesday, March 17, 2009

On the road with U.S. Hockey

I had this grand design for a monster blog from the wonderland of Bemidji, Minn. Heck, if you can check off No. 39 on your list of states visited in our great country while doing play-by-play for a local college hockey power house about to lambaste the field on the way to a NCAA Tournament booth, you do that.

Only part of that came true, as the Purple Eagles were one -- and a consolation game -- and done, but it doesn't mean I didn't take in Minnesota... and find it as wonderful a place as I've been outside of the Windy City.

Thursday afternoon

Actually, that 10,000 lakes thing seems pretty legit.

Believe it or not, my first trip to the Niagara Falls International Airport... and I'm glad they are building a new terminal. Get on an Xpress Jet, which posed a couple of problems for my intensified flying fears, post-3407. I'd never heard of the company, but the aeroplane looked fresh and clean. Some meditating and iPod and we're all set.

Sat in the back of the plane, which was a giant mistake. I take that back, the mistake was having the seat next to the lavatory, as my older grade school substitute teachers would say. Sat near Niagara PR man extraordinaire Chris Smith, as well as defenseman Dan Sullivan and goaltender Juliano Pagliero (who will play in the league).

Turns out "Pags" and forward Ted Cook were interested in hosting sports talk. I emailed Ted to see if he was interested in maybe doing a podcast. He wrote back today. He was, but has a bit of a problem...

He just signed with the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL, home of former NU cap Barrett Ehgoetz. Perhaps the Canadiens or Predators will see a spot for him. I always wonder how these college kids do it. Fresh off a full college season, go refresh yourself with four days off and a trip to the ECHL. Nice.

(By the way, Thursday is $1 beer night at the Cyclones game. Who's up for a road trip?)

EDIT NOTE: NU captain Vince Rocco inked a deal with the Reading Royals of the ECHL as well. The Royals are affiliated with the Leafs, who signed Kyle Rogers to the Marlies after last season. Pagliero was in Ottawa's developmental camp last year, and should get a look soon.

Friday

Fresh off a Thursday evening CHA Awards banquet that saw Niagara sweep the two major awards, with Pagliero winning Player of the Year and Vince Rocco getting Student-Athlete of the Year, I'm feeling pretty good about getting a little "Niagara is going dancing" call on my resume tape, whichever sick verbage I use to confuse folks.

Quick aside... Rocco deserved the academic award, and if you think I'm wrong, consider he never scored below an A during his collegiate career. His GPA is over 4.1, and he was the top economic student in the school. Book it.

Before we get to the game, let's talk a little about Bemidji State University, which is pretty much fresh off the set of "The Wonder Years," if Kevin Arnold grew up in Minnesota. With its brick buildings and overly-polite folks, BSU is the type of school where people "go steady." I'll say it... I'd let my daughter go there if she demanded going out of town for school.

I don't have a daughter.

Anyway, the apparent "jam" and "grit" the Sabres showed Thursday against Florida was apparently stolen from Niagara, who had nothing Friday. You're bound to have a down game or two during a season, but the first round of the CHA Tournament against Robert Morris was not the best time to have it. The Purps had only a handful of truly solid games among them Friday, and left stunned. It was over as quick as it started, with only a Derek Foam goal to show for it in a 2-1 loss. Talk about depressing.

Luckily for me, they sell Newcastle on tap in our hotel.

By the way, if we really want to be Hockey Town, we're might want to step it up and move to Hockey State, which is Minnesota. Can you imagine the WNY Federation Hockey playoffs on Network TV, all-day-long for two days? Not only that, but folks were glued to it, even over the Wild/Avalanche game. The hockey was pretty good, too.

Saturday

All that remained is a consolation game, one which world provide the biggest hit I've ever seen in person, but first, I ask you:

What does a sane 27-year old man do with a few spare hours before game time?

Why, I'm glad you asked. I walked on the frozen Mississippi River/Lake Bemidji.

Nothing was altered. The sky is that blue in Minnesota.

I've gotta say, I'd like to spend more time in Central Minnesota. Chalk it up there above St. Augustine and Nashville, and below Buffalo and Chicago for my favorite all-around places in our country. Let me tell you, Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox are from Bemidji. The air is crisp, it's really cold and... well, it's the Southern Tier with more evergreens.

Anyway, to the hit... Sullivan absolutely unloaded on a guy from Alabama-Huntsville. The kid had just made a tip-pass outside his own blue line and still had his head down when Sullivan put his shoulder directly through the kid's chest and massaged his spine. Wow. That's what I love about college hockey. They're all super-skilled versions of 13-year old me finally getting into a Pee Wee checking league. Imagine teams with 70 percent Patrick Kaletas. NU head man Dave Burkeholder recruits some massive hitters.

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Smith, Burkie and the coaching staff's morning hockey trivia quizzes. I think I held my own, but I've got nothing on assistant coach Jerry Forton. Not only does he have about 10-15 years of hockey love on me, and played D-I soccer, but he knows names I've never heard of.

Hopefully they let me come back, cause I'm training. Hope you know about Hakan Loob, Jerry...

Email: nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers