Monday, March 23, 2009

Schilling, Downtown Dining, Sabres and Bills/Pats

I'm going to try a brand new, scintillating brand of blog writing, using what I call "headings." I didn't have a unifying theme today, but wanted to get some writing done, so feel free to move ahead to the bolded "headings" of "Eats," "Arts" and/or "Sports."

SPORTS - BILLS:

Some quick hitters on our local American football franchise:

A) I don't think it matters that Terrell Owens missed the first day of a 12-week voluntary conditioning program unless every other Bill was there. In that case, he should've been there.

2) I figured the Bills would get a showcase game in Week One, and the announcement that the first Monday Night game of the year being Buffalo and New England on the road feels like about only a B-minus to me, but only because it's a good chance to get thrashed by Tom Brady. That said, the optimist in me says it's a fresh season, and if there ever was a time to get cracking on changing the mood of a locker room, it's MNF. By the way, a random sampling of the texts I've received on the news:

-- "0-1?" (My dad)

-- "Wow, great, Brady's back, get murdered by the Pats, set T.O. off, can't wait!" (my buddy Scoggles)

-- "My prediction: Bills, 126-3. Sam Adams, 18 sacks, four blocked field goals. Alex Van Pelt, 23/23, 600 yards, 8 TDs. Bobby Shaw, 9 receptions, 269 yds, 3 TDs. T.O. traded for Larry Centers who rushes eight times for 630 yards and 8 TDs. Boom." (my brother at school in Rhode Island, who also told me to "try hard to cover the game," and also must think Mike Hollis will miss a couple extra points).

D) View Jeremy White's reaction here. I think he's totally over-reacting, but he's my friend.

EATS:

My wife of almost eight months and I hit the road to downtown Buffalo for a trip that should've happened a while ago. For those of you who don't know, we don't eat the meats, so we headed to Merge, 439 Delaware Ave. in Buffalo. Let me tell you something, it was legit (and don't worry, there's chicken and salmon and some other stuff on the menu).

The crowning glory of any restaurant should be that you're able to separate yourself from your surroundings. Now, before you think I'm world-class goofy, let me explain -- when you head to a chain joint in Depew, you still know you're in Depew. At Merge, it was different, at least for me.

I felt like I was in a restaurant, not a location, and that's good stuff. We had a Tex-Mex wrap, Sweet Potato Calzone, kale salad, sweet potato fries and more between the two of us. The Calzone was right on, with some sort of fancy balsamic topping, and the surrounding lettuce, red pepper and onion garnish was also great. The prices were entirely reasonable, and they did convince me to try kale salad, so... that's gotta be saying something.

So this is their place, and we'll definitely be repeat customers. They sell art from local photographers and artists on the wall, with a different theme each month. To be 107 percent honest, they may have been a little overwhelmed for a busier Monday evening, but I'm not holding it against them. Plus, they were showing "Raising Arizona" at 9 p.m., which is another silver star for their cowboy shirts.

Consider it a Lenten option, too.

SPORTS - BASEBALL:

Some thoughts on Curt Schilling's retirement:

World-class mullet. Is it weird that the Phillies are the first team I think of when Schilling's name is mentioned?

I'm watching ESPN Classic right now, and it's showing the "Bloody Sock" game. Now, whatever you feel about Curt Schilling, the guy certainly was hurt, and it took onions (Thanks, Bill Raftery) to toss at Alex Rodriguez, the second batter of Game Six of the ALCS.

In retrospect, that moment set the tone for history, and I don't even like the Red Sox all that much. It's also funny to watch with Yankee fans running around the upper deck with "ghost" sheets under their Yanks caps. History was such an issue back then. Now, it's just "Count the World Championships rings" as an argument against "You haven't won since this century." Life was better then.

Is "Schill" a HOF'er? I don't know, but he will remain a polarizing figure for a while, and the way he summed up his career on his blog is a way I hope folks look at whatever I choose to do with my life once I head up to the spirit in the sky:

The game was here long before I was, and will be here long after I’m gone. The only thing I hope I did was never put in question my love for the game, or my passion to be counted on when it mattered most. I did everything I could to win every time I was handed the ball.

I am and always will be more grateful than any of you could ever possibly know.

-- Another point to ponder on his career... he'd have four World Series with three teams if Mitch Williams held regular season form in the 1993 series against Toronto.

More retrospective points on Game Six:

-- By the way, Yanks fan, if you think your team was taking the ALCS seriously with Jon Lieber on the hill, come off it (as my dad would say). This wasn't 20-win Cub-time Jon Lieber. It was "kind of a starter" Jon Lieber.

-- Also, and I can't believe I'm saying this, Tim McCarver has made at least two legitimate points about catching during this re-broadcast. Did they edit the comments in recently, or was he astute in actual time.

-- Finally, it was Game Six that A-Rod swatted the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's hand. That is by far the most embarassing moment of Rodriguez's career, including steroids, which almost everyone did. This might be the top baseball game in the last 25 years.

Yeesh.

-- Double finally, I bought Dan Cave a copy of Arroyo's cover CD for Christmas, and you haven't lived until you've heard his version of Pearl Jam's "Black."

SPORTS - SABRES:

Corey Griswold stopped by to watch a number of sporting events Saturday evening, and the Sabres performance in New York led me to pop this question:

"Has there ever been a less fun Sabres team to watch?"

(No I didn't propose).

Corey's response involved all those bad Sabres teams from the 1980s that involved winding up with the No. 1 overall pick, Pierre Turgeon, but I disagree. Those teams were just missing talent altogether, and had an aging Gilbert Perreault to go with four good players figuring hockey out (Andreychuk, Housley, Barrasso, Foligno). Plus, they had some jam, and watching Maguire, Hartman and more fight was entertaining.

It's hard to find more than a handful of inspired efforts from actual performing 2008-09 Sabres. I mean, you know you're going to get effort out of your Mairs, Pailles and Kaletas, but how many sleepwalkers have we seen, and Charlie Brown teacher comments after the game?

All-too-familiar... except it usually isn't Tellqvist

I barely believe I wrote this in February: "The Sabres Just May Be Pretty Good." Actually, I can believe it, because just like any season-high from this team, it took them approximately 10 minutes to make you throw up on your optimism. What do I mean by that? Ask Scott Gomez.

These guys have been capital-B brutal, and Harry Neale's honest Saturday comments that the Sabres worked hard in the contest shouldn't have made me want to set a rapid falcon on my face, talons-first, but they did. This team flat-out takes naps, and if the message they are trying to send is that Lindy Ruff needs an ouster, I think there's a rude awakening headed their way.

Even if he is gone, the Sabres need to send at least three faces packing this summer, and not wake up Clarke MacArthur with a qualifying offer. Any guy that's been benched multiple times without ever earning a proper roster spot in the NHL can hit the snooze button somewhere else. Maybe he can be the next former Sabre to improperly inflate his stats playing with the Sedin twins, wherever they sign.

Let's hang out on the Interweb: nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers