Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Double Fantasy

I've slowly been distancing myself from fantasy football overload, but there's one league I'll always partake in, whether I have a choice or not. My brother Sam has been running one for my family and a couple friends since 2002, and with almost as many runner-up finishes as the Bills, I have to keep up any possibile family get-together trash talking opportunities.

What I learned from this year's edition of our draft is that the Bills preseason struggles have scared some of their fans, and almost negated the "draft the good Bills way too high" effect that happens in Buffalo-based fantasy drafts.

This 10-team league has starts two quarterbacks, four receivers, two running backs, a tight end, a kicker and a defense with five bench spots. By rule, unless a guy like Tom Brady is inexplicably available in Round 11, I don't take non-Buffalo AFC East players, and shy away from anyone on the Bills' schedule.

I don't pretend to be good at fantasy sports, and I generally end up choosing players I like more than the "right pick." I think it's fair to say folks will be surprised at which picks ended up on the roster of "Chest Hair Casserole."

First round: I'm picking No. 5, and thrilled at the prospect of drafting Matt Forte, who played wonderfully for me last year without any threat in the Chicago passing game. With Jay Cutler on the scene, Forte would've been a fun pick for receiving yards in addition to his scampering talent. Alas, he was snatched up with pick No. 3. So, I reluctantly took the advice of my former Niagara Gazette colleague and current TBN writer Jay Skurski, and went wide-out. Welcome to the squadron, Larry Fitzgerald.

All of the sudden, I'm hoping the Cards trade Anquan Boldin.

Second and third rounds: Eleven of the first 15 picks are tailbacks, so my hopes of waiting until the third round for a back have been scuppered. With apologies to Steve Slaton and Chris Johnson, I've never been led astray by Frank Gore. My third round pick shores up my backfield, former Irishman Ryan Grant.

Fourth round: Donovan McNabb has never let me down, and I want to grab another Irish fella to toss the ball to Fitzgerald, but I go with Cutler, who I think will have more good days than bad with the Bears. I'm excited to see how Chicago's third-round pick, Oklahoma product Juaquin Iglesias, matures over the course of his time with Cutler.

Rounds five through seven: The plan is three-straight receivers at all costs, with the hope of getting T.O. in round six. After snagging Chad Ochocinco in the hopes of Carson Palmer's resurgence, things are going well in the pursuit of Owens, who is available right up until my brother snags him one pick before me. I didn't have much of a back-up plan, but Hines Ward is one of my all-time favorite annoyances, so he joins the team before I take Lee Evans in round No. 7. I am very pleased with this development.

Who says I don't believe in Trent Edwards (besides everyone including me)?

Eighth and ninth round: Everyone does something risky and/or stupid... and for three rounds I can't get the idea of taking Brady Quinn out of my mind. It's probably why I'm awful at fantasy football. The plan next was Marshawn Lynch, with both Grant and Gore's bye weeks coming after his suspension is up, but Beast Mode heads to Team "I Suck At This" one pick before me. So, it's Haloti Ngata and the Baltimore defense aboard the "Chest Hair Casserole" train. Choo Choo, chest sweaters!

Tenth round: So, I need another quarterback, and there are several starters left including Kerry Collins, Jake Delhomme, David Garrard and Chad Pennington... and some guy named Edwards. Now, I just did an extensive morning study on how No. 5 has been -- by far -- the worst preseason starting quarterback in the NFL. Sounds like every reason to take him. I love the risk/reward ratio here, mostly because if Quinn stinks, I can have the Bills starter... for at least six weeks or so.

I also have a Trent Edwards Topps Performance limited edition autographed card even The Hobby might be proud of... if the kid ever turns into something. It was either a two-dollar investment or a two-dollar hilarious conversation piece. Then again, there's a team in the league called "Trent the Sent." Also, the emailer-inspired nickname Trentative has been mentioned several times during the draft already. Here's hoping Edwards is as good for my fantasy team as he was for James Farrior on Saturday night.

Eleventh round onward:
I grab Kerry Collins as a safe alternative to Quinn and Edwards. I spit on the idea of Willis McGahee being any good and opt for Rutgers star Ray Rice. Brett Favre loves his tight ends, but as much as I'm tempted to go with Visanthe Shiancoe, I feel like Pittsburgh's Heath Miller is the safer play. Next, I want my second defense, and for some reason I feel like I'm playing with house money when I grab Buffalo's defense. With my final three picks, I eschew back-ups at tight end and defense and go with Colts RB Donald Brown and Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin before grabbing my kicker, Rian Lindell. Hey, if Edwards can do anything, it's set-up a field goal!

Feeling good about MNF about Sept. 12!

Thanks for reading this as if it matters: nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers