Thursday, December 3, 2009

Immediate Reactions, Wk13

For more international in-game thoughts, head to twitter.com/NicholasMendola.

I'm going to type this while watching Oregon State try to complete its "upset" of Oregon in the hopes of watching entertaining football.

Hey! Did you know this game was in another country?

-- This game tried so hard to make me hate the National Football League, and when it wasn't doing its best to make me hate that, it made me hate the fact the Bills have home games in Toronto. Wow. Thank goodness for the Saints, Colts, Vikings, Eagles, Chargers, Bengals and college ball. That's really about it.

-- So... at least the 71 people worldwide who think Ryan Fitzpatrick has a shot to be the future of the Bills now know better, and tell me that offense didn't look Dick Jauron-esque tonight. There will still be time to evaluate who the next coach should be, and if Perry Fewell deserves a look, but I promise you the Bills need better offense before anything else, and that starts with quarterback, not coach. In fact, if I could only select one, I'd rather have a new general manager than a new head coach.

-- He's a horrible off-the-field guy and has been a before the line of scrimmage mess all year long, but it was too easy to forget the talent of Marshawn Lynch.

-- A Twitter gentleman titled "douglasgoodman" Tweeted: "garbage soup." I couldn't agree more.

-- The real rub of this game is it proved -- like the Jacksonville game -- that the Bills aren't all that far from being a borderline playoff team. Quarterback, left tackle and two linebackers are the major changes next year. Seriously, when all under-contract players are healthy (Eric Wood, Leodis McKelvin, Terrence McGee, Brad Butler), this team could be alright with the right general manager calling shots. Maybe a safety beside Byrd is needed, but the pass rush was terrific and the injury-depleted secondary wasn't putrid.

-- If this isn't making sense to you, remember: you got to get drunk and go right to bed. I'm trying to make this game entertaining for you.

-- I know Fewell and Alex Van Pelt poo-pooed the notion earlier this week, but I'm ready to see Brian Brohm. Maybe he deserves an extra week or two to learn the system, but there's no excuse worth keeping him on the bench. I need to know if I need one quarterback or two next year (I still don't hate Fitz on the roster). I also don't need to see Trent Edwards the rest of the way. Each game with a remarkably average quarterback like Fitzpatrick, I'm realizing that Edwards is below even mediocre description.

-- Matt Millen and Bob Papa made Rich Gannon look more intelligent (but still not nearly as irritating). The more I do play-by-play without murdering broadcasts, the more I find the horrible analysts in pro football to be inconceivable. Hire someone good!

-- The bit on Darrelle Revis and how he picked out his cleats really completed the "boring documentary" feel of this game.

-- Another indictment of this linebacking corp: secondary members recorded three of the four top tackle numbers in this game (Wilson-10, Scott-9, Florence-7, Whitner-6). Lest we forget: Scott is a former safety.

-- I'd say Van Pelt should've run more. Fred Jackson was getting nothing done, but Lynch had his two best runs this year (Not of all-time, as a down-on-23 Twitter member remarked).

Stat line I enjoyed:
Aaron Schobel, seven tackles, one sack
-- Even though the Jets victimized him to the outside a time or two, he continues to prove that last year's foot injury is what made him appear washed up.

Stat line I didn't enjoy:
Ryan Fitzpatrick, 9-of-23, 98 yards, three sacks, interception
-- His performance could be summed up in one word: Losmanesque.

Game ball:
The defensive line (Schobel,

Lastly...
I still hate that the Bills play any games in Toronto, and I felt like the folks shown on camera in Bills body paint were paid by Canadian Parliament. Canada's a solid place with solid people who would like their own team, but are fine with the CFL. I guess we can find solace in the fact that the Rogers Communications money from this robbery could go to the Bills coaching search.

Next Week:
Snooze fest: KC's defense was better before San Diego exploited them last week, but let's be honest: Ryan Fitzpatrick's accuracy will be the difference between a win and a loss. After last week, I would've deemed the Bills able to win at Arrowhead. After the Jets game... not-so-much. Chiefs 20, Bills 10.

Email: nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers