Sunday, December 20, 2009

Immediate Reactions, Wk15

For more pathetic, self-deprecating immediate thoughts, head to twitter.com/NicholasMendola. Let's be friends.

Fool me once, shame on me.

Fool me every year since 1999, shame on... me. More shame on me. Giant giraffe-height wheelbarrows full of shame on me.

I hate sports right now...

-- The Howard Simon Show spent an hour or two this week talking about the face of the Bills for this decade. There might not be a better one than Aaron Maybin, who was offsides on a play where the Bills successfully recovered an onside kick. Now, that sentence may read like jumping the gun in a few years since defensive ends tend to start slow, but I'm comfortable saying that he might lose an IQ test battle for his life against a cucumber. Twice this year he has been offsides in terrible situations, and this one was the worst.

I didn't see the after-play, but I'd imagine Maybin was celebrating like he made a huge difference on that play. I'd bet the first-round pick of a project defensive end was gesticulating wildly like he's the Lion King. Well, seriously, this is our team this decade, and they passed on three sure-thing USC linebackers and a possible defensive rookie of the year defensive end from Texas for a project who tried to give himself a nickname by shaving "Mayhem" into the side of his head. Hey! Maybe he turns out to be a stud.

-- How did Josh Reed come down with the stink disease for a play? That fourth-quarter-fourth-down drop, too, was emblematic of the Bills struggles. He has made so many solid catches while being labeled since he was labeled "Drops" Reed for a period of time. Then again, in theory, shouldn't every play?

-- This isn't going to be a long post. I'm far-too-sour.

-- And to you, Donte Whitner? What happened, man? He's been absolutely brutal.

-- Another brutally-hard-to-swallow fact about this team in our area is the celebrations after every opposition mistake in which you played very little part.

-- Right when I was convincing myself Alex Van Pelt wasn't to blame all that much for the Bills woes, he spends another week ignoring the fact that his running backs were gashing the opposition. I feel like Fred Jackson's stat line sat at 11 carries for 73 yards for almost a full quarter.

-- Dan Dierdorf is rarely good, but he was at his worst during this one. "Good teams have good players that make better plays more often" was a close-first place in front of "This has been one of the better Bill Belichick coaching jobs of his career" and calling Josh Reed "Josh Evans." Horse-garbage sundae, Dan!

-- You could convince me it'll be another 13 losses to New England after the Bills blew two prime chances to take advantage of a down Pats team, let alone a down Pats division.

-- Another sad fact: Ryan Fitzpatrick -- as poor as he played at times -- had a much better game than Tom Brady.

-- How in the world does a defensive coordinator, defensive backs coach or head coach not know to cover Wes Welker on a 3rd-and-long with the game on the line?

-- It's sadistic, but I can appreciate that the main three critiques of Trent Edwards -- checks down too quickly, freezes in the face of a rush and is too physically fragile -- all happened during what should be his last series of plays as a Buffalo Bill. And to think, I was imagining how to react when he lead the Bills to a 14-point comeback win. Silly me.

Stat line I enjoyed:
Tom Brady, 11-for-23, 115 yards, touchdown, interception
-- I'm excited to watch them not win in the playoffs.

Stat line I didn't enjoy:
New England defense, six sacks
-- Tully "I Heart Losman" Banta-Cain had three sacks. Nice. Banta-Cain has beaten the Bills as a Pat, left for Oakland, re-signed with the Pats and beat Buffalo again. Tully bleeping Banta-Cain.

Game ball:
Paul Posluszny, nine tackles, interception, tackle-for-loss
-- I had a typo of "tackle-for-lass," but that's Tiger Woods territory. Hey-o!

Lastly...
I've watched close to 98 percent of the televised Bills games since I was seven years old. I'll watch the last two of the season as well, but please let Brian Brohm, Stevie Johnson and James Hardy play. Sign some guys you think have potential. Bench some underperforming guys, or players who need an attitude adjustment.

Next Week:
Atlanta 735, Buffalo -4.

Email: nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers