Thursday, February 26, 2009

Q&A with... Kevyn Adams

(WGR 550) -- After playing for Toronto, Florida, Columbus, Carolina, Phoenix and Chicago, local product Kevyn Adams will suit up for the (radio home of the) Buffalo Sabres.

Adams will join The Howard Simon Show from 8 to 9 a.m. Thursday morning, as well as co-host a trade deadline show with me (Nick Mendola) from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 4. We caught up with 34-year old Stanley Cup Champion and former first round pick of the Boston Bruins early Thursday.

Q: So you're retired, and back living at home... a lot of "returning the favor" to your wife for years of being out-of-town going on?

A: Yes. There's a lot of driving kids to school, and the fact that I haven't been traded this year is almost unbelievable, even though I'm not playing. I thought I still could get traded.

Q: What's Buffalo's reputation around the league?

A: It's very good actually in terms of living here in Buffalo, the guys love it. In terms of the organization itself, I think it's very good around the league. Guys like playing for Lindy and they know they're going to do it the right way. Guys sometimes get a little concerned when they come here, just because they don't know enough about the city, but once they get here, they generally like it.

Q: So, do you do ambassador work for Buffalo around the league?

A: I do. You can ask guys over the years. I've always spoken highly of this area. We'd come into town and everyone would get on my case because obviously the downtown needs a little work and that's all guys ever see, so I'd say, "Hey, there's a lot of nice areas..." I've always kept a place at Lake Chautauqua, so I had roots even when I was gone all those years.

Q: The Sabres are going through goaltender issues with Ryan Miller's high-ankle sprain, and now Patrick Lalime has a flu bug. You won a Cup with Carolina with Cam Ward and Martin Gerber splitting time in net. What's that like for a locker room?

A: Good question. I can't say we weren't concerned when Cam Ward went in net. We were down 2-0 in the series going into Montreal, and kid is a rookie. We got unconcerned real quick because he was just phenomenal. What calmed us in front of him was just his mannerisms. The kid was more calm at 20 years-old than all of us who had been in the league for a while. So, I think once he got on a roll, we were comfortable.

Q: You played a big role in helping Patrick Kane get acclimated to the league last year in Chicago. Obviously, folks around here think he's pretty special, but what's the scoop on him?

A: He's a world-class talent. It just oozes out of him. He's just so skilled. He does some things, even as an 18-year old last year, that I've never seen before with the puck. He's just going to have to realize that it's not going to come easy all the time. He's going to have to fight through some adversity as we go along here, but he's a special player and he'll be an elite player for a long-time.

Q: I've gotta admit, as a charter member of the beard club for young guys... your lack of that beautiful beard we saw in the 2005-06 Cup run is both disappointing, and alarming.

A: That was a good, nice red one. Maybe I'll grow it again, just to feel like I'm playing still.

Email: nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers