Friday, February 13, 2009

Tragedy befalls our city

A girl we used to work with here at WGR has been on "Good Morning, America," this morning, and even as I write this, the thought of her talking about her sister passing away has me on the verge of tears.

This is as real as grief gets for our city, and it stings. I'm talking "tears on the keyboard" stinging, and for what it's worth my prayers are with the victims, their families, friends and everyone else. I make no apologies for putting my religion in this space today. For what it's worth, I need it.

There's a part of me that wants the Sabres to cancel the game against San Jose tonight. I understand the idea of "distraction," but there's a big part of me that doesn't want to be distracted. This happened, and the idea that anyone expects a sports team to "pony up for its city" is miserable.

I can barely stand working today. I didn't want to get out of bed, and away from my wife and dog this morning. I feel for the idea of the players and staff who may be mourning the loss of family, friends and co-workers, having to "put on a show" tonight, though certainly no one should expect great theatrics. All I can think about is that everyone at that arena, from the guy who buzzes in the media at the security table to the fellas who sit next to Jeremy and my season seats could be going through hell right now.

In the end, I might just invite family over to watch the game, and maybe that is what sports are for, at least in the long run. Yet, I'll be damned if I think forgetting the deaths of my Western New York neighbors is a priority for me.

God bless our city.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers