Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rooting for our country

bet you're not down with people burning the American flag, right?

Me, neither, and I'm ready for the next chapter of my sports rooting life. I've attended almost everything -- from preseason basketball to the American League Championship Series to a bowl game. I've seen the Celtics in Boston, the Cubs at Wrigley and the Crew in Columbus. Throw in a bunch of Sabres playoff games, and it was only logical that I move past the professional atmosphere.

Tomorrow, I'm going to root for America to kick the crap out of Mexico.

Relax. I'm talking about our national soccer teams. I'm not Rush Limbaugh.

The States and our neighbors to the South will be tangling in the third round of World Cup Qualifying, and it generally gets pretty intense. A few years back in Mexico, the American team was saluted upon their exit of the stadium with the site of their flag being burned outside their bus. They would've complained, but there were a lot of Mexicans burning an American flag outside their bus... in Mexico.

Split-heritage midfielder Jose Francisco Torres recently chose the United States over Mexico. Split-heritage defender Edgar Castillo was born in New Mexico, but chose Old Mexico for his team (although he likely won't be in the line-up Wednesday).

Why are these games fun? I'm about to find out, but the last few games lead me to believe it'll be bananas in pajamas. For example, streakers at Bills games tend to be either drunk 40-year old men or their 19-year old sons. At soccer games, we tend to get hippie women.

So, two days worth of vacation should be well-worth it, even if the 60-degree weather means I won't see the Mexican team skip out on warm-ups, like they did last time they played in Columbus (It was plenty cold).

The only time I've rooted for my country in person was the US womens volleyball team in the World University Games, unless I'm forgetting something. I'm pumped for Round Two.

Any ideas/experiences? nick@wgr550.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers