Sunday, October 4, 2009

Immediate Reactions, Wk4

For some extra immediate reactions, see my in-game comments at Twitter.com/NicholasMendola

The sad thing is, right now, there's no alternative for the Bills offense. Just cook up another batch of garbage soup and watch your fans mow it down.

I was too late to the party with the "ditch J.P. Losman" campaign, and I've been up front about admitting that. I feel like it's foolish to start some sort of "Get rid of Trent Edwards" campaign, because what are we going to learn from that? The Bills likely do not have a better option than Edwards on the sidelines, so you have to hope for the best for the rest of 2009.

That said, he was terrible... as in worse than his line, which is saying something. He played without guts on too many occasions for my liking, like on the 3rd and 6, down 31-10 in the fourth quarter, when he dumped the ball off to triple-covered Fred Jackson. You're going to punt anyway, man, throw it up.

-- This morning, my soccer team had a road match that we lost, 7-1. On the seventh goal, some British kid ripped his shirt off, headed for the corner flag, took it to the ground and simulated having relations with it. The Bills game was almost as embarrassing... Almost.

-- I think we've seen the end of the road for Dick Jauron. This was a game that everyone figured was a win if your team is any good. I don't know what else to say except that I wish Jauron luck with the rest of his career. He's a really nice guy.

-- Terrell Owens may not be 7'4", and he did have to leap for -- I think -- four of the seven balls thrown his way, but I would have loved to see him catch the last of Sunday's drops.

-- The Bills sadly needed to pass to set up the run, and since they couldn't, that little stutter-step delayed hand-off was chewed up and spit out for the second consecutive week. Get it out of the playbook until a defense has a reason to respect the pass.

-- You've got a banged-up secondary, and the Bills pass rush stepped up to the tune of six sacks. Well-done.

-- The run defense was again a mess in the second half, and I would like Paul Posluszny to return soon.

-- Somebody call Kirk Chambers a doctor, because he was torn apart by Cameron Wake. Three sacks. Yikes.

-- The interception returned for a touchdown was awful-squared. I'm not sure we'd catch the ball, but any of us covering that tunnel-vision toss would've read it right. Yikes.

-- So, since John Lynch wasn't around to tell you that Terrell Owens didn't get to the ball, were you able to notice that Trent's second interception was the guy who threw the ball's fault?

-- The Jason Taylor sack was the coup de grace for me as to whether the loss was more the line or the quarterback. Edwards was watching Owens run an open slant route and just patted the ball.

-- One play later, I stand corrected. They both stunk today.

-- Thinking about it a little more, the line is missing two starters.

-- Call me crazy -- and you will -- but I don't think the no-huddle is a big deal. They still use as much of the clock as a huddle does, and it somewhat limits defensive substitutions.

Stat line I enjoyed:
-- Marshawn Lynch, five catches, 43 yards.
The guy is an off-the-field dirt parade, but every time I watch him play, I'm reminded of how much I love him as a football player. He's so explosive, and I love the Jackson/Lynch combo, even if Lynch had trouble on hand-offs.

Stat line I didn't enjoy:
-- Trent Edwards, 14-of-26, 192 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT, six sacks
Here's the thing; Edwards was facing the same scenario Chad Henne was, only Henne was making his first career start. Now I like the former Wolverine as much as anyone, but which guy looked more like a rookie on Sunday? Abhorrent performance from the big men up front and their teammate who receives the snaps.

Game ball:
-- The defensive line
Two weeks running. When we do our Immediate Reactions MVP tournament in a few weeks, it looks likely it'll be Fred Jackson and Terrence McGee against a bunch of d-linemen. Yeesh.

Lastly...
My prediction last week was that the Bills would beat Miami 16-13. Sadly, if the Bills would've held Miami to those 13 points, they still would've lost.

Next week:
The Cleveland Browns are in town. They've allowed 118 points. ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN (The caps mean a lot. I hate when journalists use caps for emphasis. Let your writing do the work).

I'm not calling for his head now, but if Edwards can't exploit the Browns at the Ralph, I'll be wondering if Tony Romo or Derek Anderson is available in trade. Remember when I typed this?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers