Sunday, October 18, 2009

Immediate Reactions, Wk6

For some extra immediate reactions, head to my load of in-game posts at Twitter.com/NicholasMendola

I love when the Bills win. My Frank's "Pasta Artichoke" leftovers are going to taste so much better.

-- Since I've been quick to defend Dick Jauron at certain points in the past, let me say that he did a worse job in this win than he's done in any of the four losses. He got way too conservative on the final drive of regulation, attempting a field goal on second down after letting :36 run down to :03.

THEN, after the Lee Evans replay reversal in overtime, he runs Marshawn Lynch on two very safe runs. Luckily, Rian Lindell nailed a kick from 47 yards away. I know, I know... they made the kick.

(And let's get this straight, the Lee Evans "bobble" was the right call according to the rules, but is one of the reasons football can be stupid. That should be a catch).

-- Not to pile on the point, but you have to wonder if Ryan Fitzpatrick could've engineered some points in the second half last week if Jauron had the guts to pull Trent Edwards. Again, Edwards is more-than-likely the better quarterback, but when your guy is struggling, you gotta have the gumption to try another one of your guys.

-- Here's to the defense. Yes, they got chewed up on more than one occasion on the ground, but they only allowed 13 points. Six interceptions is real nice.

-- Jairus Byrd with three picks in his last two games. The Bills sent out a "Tweet" saying he was the first Bills rookie since Nate Clements to grab three interceptions in a season... and he's got 10 weeks to go. I'm a big fan of the Oregon rookie, who is disproving that a full training camp is necessary...

-- ... while Aaron Maybin is the other side of the story. Who lines up that far offside? Furthermore, who does that right after the team is victimized for the same play? No tackles today, and maybe we're learning why Perry Fewell isn't trying to move this guy to linebacker... brains.

-- Note to Trent Edwards: It's not the concussion. No. 83 has been on the Bills all year. What a nice game for Lee Evans, one of the classiest guys in the league. His critics should note that he made catches in traffic and near the sidelines. Feeling good for a class act, whose value was shown while Terrell Owens was engaged in a battle with Darrelle Revis, a corner who is the real deal.

-- Ryan Fitzpatrick could quite simply be the Kelly Holcomb of Harvard, but I'm ready to see him next week, especially knowing more than a thing or two about concussions. Play it safe after an ugly injury. In a league with the Tom Brady Rule, there should be a fine there.

-- Fitzpatrick wasn't a stud by any means, but he did prove a few complaints that many people had about Edwards right. Fitzpatrick had a whole lot more time to throw because he refused to only tuck it and run. A lot of it may have to do with Bill-killer Kris Jenkins being knocked out of the game, but it was a lot more fun watching Fitz than it was Trent.

-- Even if I didn't like the conservative nature of the calls, I love that Alex Van Pelt showed more allegiance to the run this week. Eric Wood has the look of a career left guard (Edit note: even if, yes, as a commenter said, he does play right guard. Left guard is arguably a more important spot).

-- Running truly does seem to be a part of Ryan Fitzpatrick's arsenal, though certainly more like Matt Cassel than Michael Vick. I thought his scampers were well-chosen, unlike some quarterbacks' hesitations that cost them precious yards.

-- When Fitzpatrick dumped the ball to Corey McIntyre on a play in the second half, my eyes tried to trick me into thinking the pass was thrown to a lineman.

-- The Bills eight penalties should keep them near the top of the league, but the Jets' 14 penalties were a reminder that it could be worse. My dad texted me after the game that the Jets wanted to lose the game more than the Bills did.

-- On the Josh Reed "fumble," I was really disappointed that Jackson showed no instinct to grab the ball, even if he was trying to pretend it didn't hit Reed. The Bills made a lot of mistakes that should've haunted them. The good news is that the Jets are in their division. The bad new is the Patriots are, too, and they stomped the Titans, 59-0. Chris Johnson ran for 127 yards for Tennessee, which must be up there in the "most rushing yards in a 50-plus-point loss" category.

Stat line I enjoyed:
Mark Sanchez, 10-of-29, 119 yards, two sacks, five interceptions
--- I think the kid is going to be great, but my goodness did he look uncomfortable in the elements.

Stat line I didn't enjoy:
Jets running game, 40 carries, 318 yards
--- New York snagging eight yards-per-carry is alarming, but the Bills came up big when it matters. When you take into account some of the massive gains they gave up, the 8.0 isn't as ugly as it should be.

Game ball:
Byrd.
-- Folks, we have a safety.

Lastly...
I don't care if its ugly, and I know I'm a reporter who tries to stay unbiased in his analysis, but I love when the Bills win. I'm excited to not be quitting on the year. Will they make the playoffs? Probably not, but before this week we couldn't imagine which game on the schedule would be win No. 2. We've got it, and I'm ready for Carolina.

Next week:
Why am I ready for Carolina? Because the Panthers have the same quality wins that the Bills have in beating Washington and Tampa Bay. I think the Bills running game should be more of a factor against the Panthers, and regardless of quarterback we should see a contested game. I think it'll be just as ugly... but just as victorious. Bills get a defensive TD and move to 3-4 with a 20-17 win over the Panthers down South. It's the kind of "false hope" game the Bills regularly win, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers