Sunday, October 11, 2009

On Trent "being a fan"

During our "post-post-game" show, I played the post-Cleveland loss Trent Edwards press conference. At the end of his answers, he's essentially asked if he understands why fans booed the Bills. His response, and I'm paraphrasing, was that he's not a fan so he can't comment or understand.

It really ticked me off at first, but I tried to settle down and realize I was probably in the "heat of the moment." In any event, it was a super-loaded question that the Bills quarterback was probably pretty ticked off at answering. However, after getting a bunch of emails and "Tweets" about it, I see that it's hitting a lot Bills fans the same way it initially got me.

A couple hours later, here's what I think: it's not that Edwards has to care what the fans think, it's that he doesn't have the common sense or emotion to buck the company line. There's so much Dick Jauron to his responses that it's like hearing a robot.

You can name any number of Bills signal callers over the years who would've been aware enough to know that Buffalo fans hang on their quarterback's every word, looking for signs of gusto. Not acknowledging that he understands being booed, or that he even notices on the field, is not just a little insulting, it's silly.

If I can over-analyze, it could be symptomatic of what ails the Bills. Maybe history will end up showing that Mike Mularkey murdered J.P. Losman's chances of having a solid career, and perhaps it'll go down that Dick Jauron's lack of fire hampered the calm Edwards from ever becoming a true leader, and crippled his chances of having the backbone to shake off some terrible performances and decisions.

More likely, though, the guy just doesn't get Bills fans, or maybe football fans in general. Take what Orchard Park native and Bills special teamer Jon Corto said after the game:

"I know what it's like to feel frustrated. I've been a Bills fan my whole life. I tell some of these guys, 'Man, I feel the pain of the fans' because I'm a fan, too."

Corto, not surprisingly, gets it. On the other hand, there's Edwards. Our last quarterback quoted Yoda and it was a big deal. Edwards probably wouldn't admit to knowing that "Star Wars" was a successful film. Maybe he'd have to look at the tape.

From his ridiculous, "I didn't notice Jason Peters wasn't at practice" comments a few years back all the way up until today, Edwards has adopted the "believe what I say when I say it approach" of Bill Belichick, without any of the success to back it up.

In other words, Bills fans don't like getting spit on and being told it's raining. Even if it's pretty overcast, we're not total idiots.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something about the Sabres or Bills:

About Me

Nick Mendola
Buffalo people know how to eat, and Buffalo people know how to have a good time.
View my complete profile

TUCO - Nick's Band

<a href="http://tuco.bandcamp.com/album/no-one-leaves-easy">Longplayer by Tuco</a>

Followers